Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Letter from John Floyd about conditions in Kentucky

Draper 17CC172-175

 

Boonesborough, July 21, 1776

 

My Dear Sir,

Te situation of our country is much altered since I wrote you last. The Indians seem determined to break up our settlements, and I really doubt, unless it was possible to give us some assistance, that the greatest part of the people must fall a prey to them. They have, I am satisfied, killed several which, at this time, I know not how to mention. Many are missing who, sometime ago, went out about their business who we can hear nothing of. Fresh sign of Indians is seen almost every day.

 

I think I mentioned to you before of some damage they had done at Leesburg. The seventh of this month they killed one Cooper on Licking Creek, the fourteenth they killed a man whose name I do not know, at your Salt spring on Licking Creek. The same day they took out of a canoe, within sight of this place, Miss Betsy Calloway, her sister Frances, and a daughter of Daniel Boon’s; the two last are about 13 or 14 years old, and the other grown. The affair happened late in the afternoon, they left the canoe on the opposite side of the river from us, which prevented our getting over for some time to pursue them. We could not, that night, follow more than five miles before dark.

 

Next morning by daylight we were on the tracks, but found they had totally prevented our following them by walking some distance through the thickest cane they could find. We observed their course and on which side we had left their signs. and travelled upwards of thirty miles. We then imagined they would be less cautious in travelling, and made a turn in order to cross their trace, and had gone but a few miles till we found their tracks in a buffalo path, pursued and overtook them in going about two miles, just as they were kindling a fire to cook. Or study had been more to get the prisoners without giving the Indians time to murder them after they discovered us, than to kill them.

 

We discovered each other nearly at the same time. Four of us fired and all rushed on them, which prevented their carrying anything away except one shot gun without any ammunition. Mr. Boon and myself has each a pretty fair shoot just as they began to move off. I am well convinced I shot one through, and the one he shot dropt his gun, mine had none. The place was very thick with cane, and being so much elated on recovering the three poor little heart-broken girls, prevented our making any further search; we sent them off almost naked, some without their moccasins, and not one of them so much as a knife or tomahawk.

 

After the girls came to themselves enough to speak, they told us there were only five Indians, four Shawnee and one Cherokee, could all speak good English. They said they should take them to the Shawnee towns. And the war club we got was like those I have seen from that nation. Several words of their language which they retained, was known to be Shawnee. They also told them the Cherokees had killed and drove all the people from Watagua and thereabouts, and that fourteen Cherokees were then on the Kentucky waiting to do mischief. If the was becomes general, which there is now the greatest appearance of, our situation is truly alarming.

 

We are about finishing a large fort and intend to try to keep possession of this place as long as possible. They are, I understand, doing the same at Harrodsburg, also on Elkhorn at the Royal Spring. A settlement known by the name of Hinkston is broke up and nineteen of which are now here on their way in, himself among the rest, who all seem deaf to anything we can say to dissuade them. Ten at least of our own people, I understand, are going to join them which will leave is with less than 30 men at this fort. I think more than 300 men have left the country since I came out, and not one has arrived except a few cabbiners down the Ohio.

 

I want as much to return as any person can do, but if I leave the country now there is scarcely one single man hereabouts, but what that will follow the example. When I think of the deplorable condition a few helpless families are likely to be in, I conclude to sell my life as dear as I can, in their defense, rather than to make an ignominious escape.

 

I am afraid it is in vain to sue for any relief from Virginia, yet the convention encouraged the settlement of this country; and why should not the extreme parts of Fincastle be as justly entitled to protection as any other part of the colony. An expedition being carried on against those nations who are at open was with the people in general, might in a good measure relieve us by drawing them off to defend their towns. If anything under Heaven can be done for us, I know of no person who would more willingly engage in forwarding us assistance than yourself.

 

I cannot write, you can better guess at my ideas from what I have said than I can express them.

 

I am Sir, yours most affectionately,

 

John Floyd

 

No comments: