Friday, March 21, 2008

Letter from John Floyd to William Preston

Draper Manuscripts 17CC184-185

 

Harrodsburg, Oct. 30th, 1779

 

My Dear Friend,

 

We arrived here in six weeks, all safe and hearty, but fatigue, perplexity &c. has almost made a skeleton of me.

 

My wife brought out the little boy without any of my assistance, and neither of them were any trouble on the way. I lost neither horse nor cow, but my trouble in driving them here was too much. I am this morning gathering up my affairs to set out for Beargrass in high spirits.

 

The commissioners are here, and I procured my certificate yesterday for 1400 acres at Woodstock, and was immediately offered six fine young Virginia born Negroes for it. You never saw such keenness as is here about land. I am vexed that I am forced to send your warrants back to be renewed before I can get them surveyed. Do send them out again as soon as possible. My surveyor’s commissions are at Mr. Trigg’s and Col. Robinson informed me Mr. Madison could not procure me a commission for this county without the old one. I wish it could be sent down. I am now very anxious to have a place and I find all your observations about it very just.

 

The court moves to the Falls next week, and I am desirous to be there in order to get places for Capt. Madison and Mr. Johnson. I see many selling their claims here and I think they will do the same there. I hear nothing from Capt. Smith; I fear he has gave out coming, and if so his opportunity in getting land will be soon over. Col. Robinson left Capt. Rowland Madison about Cumberland, with a tired horse. He has not yet got out. Corn is 30 dollars per bushel. I wish I had my corn from Arcadia. I want to hear how my brother Charles goes on, I directed him to bring me 10 cows in the spring; if he can I shall be quite safe for that article, and I believe there is no doubt of Buffalo beef plenty. Smith and Carvin landed at the Falls a few days since, but I don’t hear where they are destined. I have no fear of not getting settlers at my station in abundance, as they are very sickly at the Falls.

 

            Your ever affectionate friend.

 

No comments: