Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The letter of Daniel Boone to Col. Henderson

Draper Manuscripts 17CC166-67

April 1st, 1775

Dear Colonel,

After my compliments to you, I shall acquaint you of our misfortune. On the 25th of March, a party of Indians fired on my company, about half an hour before day, and killed Mr. Twitty and his negro, and wounded Mr. Walker very deeply; but I hope he will recover. On the 28th as we were hunting for provisions, we found Samuel Tate’s son, who you gave us an account that the Indians fired on their company on the 27th. My brother and I went down and found two men killed and scalped, Thomas McDowell and Jeremiah McFeeters. I have sent a man down to all the lower companies, in order to gather them all at the mouth of Otter Creek. My advice to you, sir, is to come or send to us as soon as possible. Your company is desired greatly for the people are very uneasy, but are willing to stay and venture their lives with you, and now is the time to frustrate their intentions, and keep the country while we are in it. If we give way to them now it will ever be the case.

This day we start from the battle ground, for the mouth of Otter Creek, where we shall immediately build a fort, which will be done before you can come or send to us. Then we can send ten men to meet you, if you send for them.

Daniel Boone.

N.B. We stood on the ground and guarded our baggage till day, and lost nothing. We have about fifteen miles to Kentucky at Otter Creek.

No comments: